I got this error in the config tool of Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint:
“The SharePoint service is running but the Forefront VSAPI Library is not registered”
Here is what I did:
1. Stop running service “Microsoft Forefront Server Protection Controller”
2. Stop running service “Microsoft Forefront Server Protection Controller for SharePoint”
3. Go to your installation directory of Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint
4. Run from command prompt: “fsccontroller.exe /disable”
5. Run from command prompt: “fsccontroller.exe /enable”
6. Restart SharePoint Services:
- SharePoint 2010 Administration
- SharePoint 2010 Timer
7. Start service “Microsoft Forefront Server Protection Controller for SharePoint”
8. Start service “Microsoft Forefront Server Protection Controller”
9. That’s it. (Do a “Refresh” in the Forefront management console application.)
7 thoughts on “Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint–Error “The SharePoint service is running but the Forefront VSAPI Library is not registered””
Hi Ingo, do you have any update on this error? We are seeing in our production environment as well. When it occurs users are unable to upload ANY documents. Sharepoint comes back with an erroneous message saying “Virus Found” (scary) and we see that Event 7054 in the event logs “The SharePoint service is running but the Forefront VSAPI Library is not registered”. Thanks.
I’m sorry. There are no new information on that! For me this works at the moment. – I’ll post a new comment if there are any updates!
Interesting. I have the same problem on an Exchange 2007 mailbox server runnign SP2 Rollup 4. I just applied Forefront Protection 2010 Rollup 2 and get exactly the same error. However, if I reboot the server it is ok. If I reboot it again, the error comes back. If I reboot it again, it is ok…….and so on (basically it works,fails,works,faile,works,fails)
I would be interested to know what happens if you rebooted your server several times ?
I have even removed forefront altogether and installed into a clean directory, with no luck.
The call is currently with Microsoft
do you have updates on this? – For me: the solution works! Also after restarting the server Forefront works as expected.
Yes, it turns out that Microsoft redesigned Forefront in terms of service startups, on this version of Forefront.
The solution was a registry mod
Under DependOnService add FSCController to the bottom
After that entry was added. The server comes back fully working after every reboot and the Information store also shuts cleanly.
thanks for your reply and your solution! – Must be specific to Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange…