Error in crawl log: “The SharePoint item being crawled returned an error when attempting to download the item”


Another error in the crawl log:

SNAGHTML3dde524

Using Fiddler I figured out that the pages report an “incompatible browser” error if the SharePoint crawler opens that pages. It seems that the gantt view only renders content for an up-to-date Internet Explorer – identified by the user agent.

The solution is to change the user agent used by the SharePoint crawler component.

Microsoft’s “procmon” showed me this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Search\Global\Gathering Manager\UserAgent

I set this to the IE9 user agent string found here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/03/23/introducing-ie9-s-user-agent-string.aspx

It’s:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/5.0)

After the next crawl the errors related to this problem where gone.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s